jueves, 4 de diciembre de 2014

Exiting Continuation...


   As I continued to read The Giver many more interesting things happened and Jonas went through several new experiences. On chapter 5 during the morning ritual of dream telling, Jonas felt his first Stirrings on the dream he had. His mother gave him the corresponding medicine to take away the Stirrings, nevertheless Jonas really enjoyed feeling the Stirrings. On chapter 6 the ceremonies begun. They started with the Naming Ceremony in which every baby was given a name and a home, except baby Gabe because he was given an additional year of Nurturing before his naming and placement. After, each ceremony came, starting from Ceremony of One up till Ceremony of Eleven. On chapter 7, the Ceremony of Twelve begun and Jonas impatiently waited for his Assignment, he was number 19. Meanwhile Asher got the Assignment of Assistant Director of Recreation and Fiona which was number 18, got the Assignment of Caretaker of the Old. When it was finally Jonas turn, the Chief Elder skipped him and went to number 20. Furthermore, on chapter 8 the Chief Elder explains that Jonas did not get assigned, but selected. He was selected to be the next Receiver of Memory. His training would be different than the others and he would suffer much physical pain. His selection was one of the most important ones.

The following quote caught my attention while reading: 

"Finally, The Receiver must have one more quality, and it is one which I can only name, but not describe. I do not understand it. You members of the community will not understand it, either. Perhaps Jonas will, because the current Receiver has told us that Jonas already has this quality. He calls it the Capacity to See Beyond."


This quote caught my attention because it made me wonder what this Capacity to See Beyond was. It also made me connect back to the scene in which Jonas and Asher were playing catch with an apple and the apple changed. This is because, in this chapter when Jonas turned around and saw that the whole audience also changed, it made me inference of what this Capacity to See Beyond meant. I think that what changed in the apple and the people was that it turned from black and white, like everything in this society could be, to color. Furthermore, I believe that this is the special capacity Jonas has. I predict that this quality he has will help him uncover the secrets of his society and change how it functions.

  To finalize my post, these chapters were very interesting and filled with different exciting things that occurred to Jonas. I am eager to continue reading and find out more about what Jonas does with his new selection and see if my prediction was right. If my prediction is right, I am intrigued on knowing the different secrets of this perfect and organized society. I am also looking forward to find out if the Capacity to see Beyond is what I inferred it would be. To conclude, I can´t wait to keep reading and surprising myself with all the different interesting experiences Jonas and all the rest of the society have to go through.




4 comentarios:

  1. Ale Ubidia, I am impressed by how you predicted the See Beyond ability. However how can you support the black and white seeing everyone else has, for from nature humans have always seen in colors. And to say otherwise would mean that in the newchildren they make something to their eyes to see without colors. However I do agree with you that this could be possible, but I am not a hundred percent sure right now.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Joaquin, I agree with you and I can´t strongly support my prediction of everything being black and white. However, it occured to me that this was a very possible explanation of the Capacity to See Beyond. I really like your prediction of making the new children something in their eyes wich makes them see without colors.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Ale I liked your idea of what you said of that they see in in black and white. I also was like you I didn't knew what was changing then I realized with the two evidence in the book and it look obvious, because what it would have changed the from not then what else. But then I think further more and the government does things to the community becuase how do they make them see without colors were not dogs. What about when you are born you had this but when you grow you have this new ability. The government does things to the society that we don't know how, but why do they see in black and white.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Jose Andres, I am glab you liked my prediction on the blck and white capacity. I agree with you that probably people get done this when the are recently born. I think that this is very unfair because people should be able to be free and do what they wish.
      Ale

      Eliminar